RE: [RC] old age/emergency euthanasia - heidi

I don't think I could make myself do that. What about cutting the jugular?
That seems like less chance of missing & less pain. It doesn't hurt to bleed
out does it?

First of all, cutting the jugular hurts.  Second, bleeding out can lead
to panic--which I doubt is mentally a very pleasant situation.  Does it
beat hours and hours of horrible suffering?  Probably.

We had a situation in a very remote area at an endurance ride where we
had injectable anesthesia but no euthanasia solution and no gun.  The
vet involved put the horse under and then bled him out.  She said it
was really horrible, because as he bled out, the anesthesia wore off,
and he really did thrash and get panicky.  But it didn't take him long
to die after that, and he was up on a remote mountaintop with a
shattered leg, so other options were far less humane than what she did.

Second, there is no pain whatsoever in being rendered immediately
unconscious by a well-placed blow to the brain.  I suffered one a
little over a year ago from a horse's hoof after I had come off.  My
helmet was shattered, and I was unconscious.  I have no memory
whatsoever of the hit--the lights just went out.  I distinctly remember
landing--and then nothing.  Yes, the fact that I came to afterward, I
did suffer a bit of pain at the point of contact.  But we are not
talking about situations here where the horse is going to wake up
afterward.

Personally, knock me unconscious ANY day, rather than bleed me out...

Heidi