[RC] Bananas - Julie Fuller

Most of my horses over the years have been fairly picky about treat, but I had a gelding years ago who loved pizza and chinese food. *grin* He'd also chase loaves of French bread and run off to eat them. That was pretty funny, especially when we had a steer who liked French bread too... it was a race to see who could grab it first! I wish I had THAT on video.

As a bit of a warning, be careful what you let your horses develope a taste for. Many things are not poisonous in small quantities, but can be lethal in larger amounts. I had a little Morab mare, leased from a friend, who colicked BADLY one evening. Honestly, I think she would have died had I not been riding her when the symptoms began. It was touch and go for awhile, but she made it through, but it wasn't until a couple days later I discovered why she had colicked.

I had a dog at the time, and fed the dog in the pasture where the horses were. And when I filled the dog bowl with about a gallon of food, that little mare came running over and started chowing! I took the food away, and called her owner... seems his wife had been giving her dogfood as a treat since she was a baby. I'm not sure if it was something in the food that did it, or if perhaps it had just gummed up in her intestines, but I'm pretty sure that's what had brought on the colic.

Julie