Re: [RC] gun training your horse - abigail Madden

First start off the horse.  Start out with a .22 blank, starters pistol,  or even a cap gun.

With you standing next to the horse at one end of the arena, have a second person at the other end of the arena fire the gun (if live rounds, down range, into the dirt).  If the horse does nothing more than an ear flick, or the "stand up tall, what was that" praise him up, and do it again.  Do this distance approximately 5-6 times and then move closer.  Once you can fire within 10 feet of the horse with no reaction, mount up and start again from the other end of the arena.  Once the horse can tolerate the gun fire from about 10 feet away while mounted, then try shooting from the saddle.  USE BLANKS.  One shot, praise.  Wait.  Another shot, praise.

Gradually increase your caliber, starting over dis-mounted,  in the arena.  As with anything else, some horses take to it like its no big deal.  Others need lots of work.

I have one right now that will stand quietly while I shoot several .40 cal rounds off his back.  He will also let me trot and shoot, as well as canter, slide stop, and stand next to me as I dismount and fire.  I have another that just hates it and will stand for the first shot, but begins to fidget for the second.

I'm a police officer and a member of our department's mounted unit and this is how we aclimate the horses to gun fire.  Its worked for all of us.  I may even have us doing the training on digital video.  If you'd like, I look for it and burn you copy.   Hope this helps.

abigail
Chico, CA

Peggety123@xxxxxxx wrote:

I too got a gun for Christmas....a Smith and Wesson 38 (or 357 which I'll probably never shoot - too much kick!).  I got the 3" barrel -  it was a nice size for me.  The gun weight isn't much either - a nice weight for holster.  I feel much more comfortable with a revolver.  I also have a semi automatic Glock, but it's heavier (even though it's the lightweight version) plus I am not as comfortable using it in a pinch.

After hearing mountain lions screaming awful close here in rainy CA, I decided that my dog was just not enough of a deterrent - especially since he's a deaf border collie!

How do you ladies, who've packed and shot off a horse, gun train your horses?  I'm sure nothing is a guarantee, but I don't think I'll be having time to get off my horse to shoot, plus I don't relish the thought of walking all the way back to the horse trailer which could be 10 miles away down a craggy mountain!

My husband and I were going to start off using a 22 and build up from there....but any input would be much appreciated!

Peggy E.
California