Re: [RC] Euthanasia: Horses/pets & firearms - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Man, very well put.  I have had to put down my old endurance of many, many miles about 6 years ago.  And yes, we have to make that decision not for us, but for the animal.  No matter what.  If we choose to prolong what is never going to heal, then we are making that animal suffer just because WE are selfish and don't want to let go.  For goodness sakes people, step up and do what is best for them, not us.  And like you, I chose to put him down before he had no quality of life.  He had a broken hip, two vets confirmed it, he was 26 yrs. old.  It wasn't going to heal, and he would only gets worse.  True, it is hard to part with them, but it would be worse to watch them slowly die.
 We have a similar incident now with Hubby's 29 yr. old QH.  Joni learned to ride on her several years ago and she is a doll to have around.  But the cold weather and damp combined with joint/arthitis problems has been tough on her this winter.  Her weight is fine, she gets the senior feed and beet pulp, and I have started her on the Legend injections for the winter.  She is much better now. But, she was laying around outside and I am afraid she will get sick from it.  I think she will come thru this winter ok now, but don't know how many more she can take.

There was a very good article in an old Arabian Horse World one time about "Knowing when to let go".

Jody and the girls (and Cash Pony)

cynthia hamberg <creativitee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks:
It has been just over 3 weeks since I had to make the difficult
decision to euthanize one of my horses, Slick-A-Roo. However,
I have to agree with those of you in the 'back woods' who do not
have veterinary access like I do...Allowing an animial to suffer is
unfair and ultimately selfish...Yes, I could have put Slick through
"chemo," excised his eyelid tumor with possible blindness as a result,
and run many more histological exams...He probably would have
dropped 200 lbs., and the end result would have ultimately been the same...
Postponing the loss does not make it easier for the animal, which
is what we as owners have taken the responsibility of--quality of
life for our horses, dogs, cats, etc....Upon seeing "Roo" trot out with my son,
Kurtis (Roo's champion 4H kid), Dr. Smith said, "Cindy--he's lame on both front legs..."
(This indicated my worst fear: A metastasized mast cell tumor &
resulting cancer to the forelimbs...We had already eliminated forelimb arthritis with Adequan,
and I had done the cytology lab exams that indicated the mast cell tumor...).
I then quietly said, "It's time, isn't it?" Dr. Smith
said, "Yes, it's time..." It didn't make it any easier. And, yes, veterinary
confirmation is nice to have...But, at times, I do believe that it is impossible
to get a vet out in time to give you that final "ok" regarding your decision
to euthanize. My husband grew up on a farm in a remote area of Sweden where they, like
many of you, had to use their guns to end the suffering of an animal. It
wasn't any easier on them, but when the time comes--you know what is right:
Keeping the welfare of the horse/animal in mind. Slick died fat & happy...May we all.
Take Care,
Cindy Hamberg (PS)