[RC] 'horse that spins' - smuncy

" I have a great horse who can spin like a top.  He is worse when tired or bored.  He is not trying to pull something when he spins, he is just not confident"...
 Sorry, my opinion, is - he is confident - in  the fact he has learned to unseat you, and get his way. But that's beside the point.
 You can try : 1) ride with a 'long leg' / 'deep seat'. 2) I had one like this; and I learned never to totally relax; always 'feeling' for when he was getting ready to try a spin. And would just bring him around in circle and continue on. Coupled with action below, he soon grew tired of  'the game'. Mine did this as avoidance to work, and had learned he could unseat others; therefore, he did not have to be ridden. They basically gave up on him. It took about a month and sometimes he still needs a  little refresher, but he did 'learn', 'spinning' was not going to work anymore. Now an honest 'shy', is another story.
3) get a set of Long reins - can be tied together or split. Whenever, he starts to come around, or just before; and you can tell, when he's just thinking  about it, ( generally, their head will tilt toward direction going to turn, and I could feel it in his body ) - flick / swing ends of reins up along side of neck, where he can see them. Telling him NO, and 'push' him forward. Be prepared - if he is "reactive'',  he may want to shy to other side, or try spinning other direction; be quick enough to change sides with reins as needed. And to tap him with reins, if need be, if  he continues on around, or spins before you can correct him,  then  ride him in  a circle, and continue, direction you were going. I once spent about ?? 20 minutes, going one mile on this horse, as he wanted to  try and do  'the spin thing', every couple strides. I suggest you start this at a walk, before trying at a trot. Good luck, Stephanie M