Re: [RC] Guns/Weapons - Faustina Duffy

You make a valid point, Diane...but for those of you who are "packing" keep this tidbit in mind:  Most people automatically aim high, shooting over the heads of the "enemy" in a high stress situation (instinctive bluffing reaction).  These are the 2 points that my family (die hard roughnecks, all of 'em) (especially my 93 year old Gram, who first taught me this advice) and my military training have taught me:

1.)  Don't draw until you KNOW it is time to shoot to kill-then do so immediately.  To heck with bluffing, that leaves you open to being charged and having your weapon taken from you.  PRACTICE, any chance you get, drawing and firing immediately (what you train your muscles to do, slowly and repeatedly, they will do again in a high stress situation <think of the one rein stop>).

2.)  IF your weapon is taken from you, OR if YOU are unarmed, facing someone WITH a weapon, duck low and CHARGE.  A small woman, who hits a large attacker LOW in the body mass can often bowl him over and keep going, but if you run away, you may be caught or shot.  USE the surprise   If you are not close enough to charge, they are probably too far from you to be accurate (combat target shooting with a pistol is absolutely close range, very few people TRAIN enough to be accurate beyond 10 feet) (oh, and if you only have one shot to kick someone-take out their KNEE, not their testes...I have seen MANY men so hit stay on their feet long enough to beat someone to a pulp before dropping and puking.  NEVER seen ANYONE stay effective immediately after a broken or dislocated knee....maybe AFTER Mr. Miyagi gets there to fix it, but not immediately AFTER it collapses on them.)

Just my $.02, hope none of you EVER need use it...

Lucky & Romeo

(And if you ever want to do a little more digging into the interesting realities of how animals and people actually do physiologically react to intraspecies agression, here's a good place to look for info: http://www.killology.com/ )