Re: [RC] Exercise Ball // for Saddle Simulation, Too - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]   Exercise Ball // for Saddle Simulation, Too
Although the exercise ball is primarily for strengthening abs, back, and other muscles, I got mine to develop proprioception (position sense) and balance in my seat. I do this by straddling it for computer work, which for me is several hours/day.

I put the ball on a large hard pillow, like a sofa cushion, so that my feet hang down as they would in the saddle. I put something (usually my slippers) under the balls of my feet to enforce a heels-slightly-down position. The constant unconscious readjusting of my body (to not roll off!) has improved my balance,  posture, and adductor (inner thigh) strength on my horse. (I’m a relatively new rider, so the body basics learning curve was steep for me with this practice.)

2 caveats, tho: I had to a) make sure the overall ergonomics of my work station were still optimal—elbows at 90 degrees when shoulders are down and when wrists are neutral for roll, pitch, and yaw; eye-to-screen angle about 15 degrees below the horizontal; and b) resist the temptation to slump.

Beverley