RE: [SPAM] Re: [RC] Lady's Gun/shopping - heidi

and if you are not American you don't get  why ANYONE would want a gun! :-)
I'm not and don't know anyone who owns one or has ever thought of getting one
for protection-

No, it isn't just an American phenomenon.  The Swiss--a nationality
known to historically steer clear of war--have mandatory military
service for all, for one year.  And following that military service,
each person is given a gun, and it is the law that that gun is kept in
your home and maintained.  And guess what--Switzerland has one of the
world's lowest crime rates.  Gee, who wants to break in, when you know
that every home not only contains a gun, but contains someone who knows
how to use it?

On the other end of the spectrum, both the Brits and the Aussies took
away private gun ownership--and crime soared in both countries.

Paul Harvey quoted the best line (wish I knew who he was quoting)--if
you live in an urban area and you are in favor of removing private
ownership of guns, please post a sign in your window, stating, "This is
a gun-free home."

Bottom line--if you are not comfortable with guns, certainly don't pack
one, because yes, it is a very real threat that it will be taken away
from you and used against you.  And if you do pack, make sure you are
willing to actually use it, and not just bluff.  But armed citizens are
still good crime deterrants--nothing like the sound of a pump shotgun
racking up in the dark to make an intruder think twice.

I am not sufficiently proficient with a handgun to make ownership of one
worthwhile.  I do, however, have both a rifle and a shotgun in my home
(well, sometimes one or the other is in my pickup truck), and I know
how to use them.  (And yes, I have had to shoot horses in
emergencies--and given the environmental issues of most commonly used
drugs for euthanasia, it is now my preferred method of euthanasia, when
it comes to that, since out here, burial is nigh on impossible, and I
really don't care to poison the eagles that will come share the carcass
with the coyotes.)  But if I didn't live where I do, handgun training
would rise considerably on my priority list, and I would not only get
one, but would also get a concealed weapon permit.

My husband, who spent a bit of time as a young man in the Danish
military (and still a Danish citizen), is a crack shot--far better than
I am at longer ranges, quite frankly.

Heidi