[RC] Suspensory injuries - sowright

If anyone is interested, I have an excellent document from Michigan State University's vet school about horses with suspensory and other ligament/tendon injuries.  It includes important information about how to help recover from the injuries.  I've been following their program with my horse with excellent results.  His follow-up ultrasound showed that he is healing very nicely with the physical therapy regimen that I'm following.

Email me privately and I will send you the document.  sowright@xxxxxxx

Warning:  the methodology used takes a lot of your time and commitment to follow.  I've been handwalking, ground-driving and ponying my horse for 6 months to heal his injury.  This method is far more effective than traditional stall rest, because it encourages the soft tissues to heal up strong like they were pre-injury, instead of misaligned and weak, which is usually how they heal from stall rest and limited turnout.  The program consists of walking, and eventually some trotting, several times per week, on a firm surface, to help the tissue fibers align properly during healing.  A dirt road and hardpacked trails are perfect for the therapy.  This program should be followed under the supervision of a vet who can perform ultrasounds and is skilled with lameness issues.

My horse got injured last year when I had other riders campaigning him for me during my pregnancy.  We turned a negative into a postive, as I started handwalking him during my own fitness walks.  He loved going out with me in any capacity!  Eventually, I started ground driving him with 21' reins and a surgincle harness, which enabled me to take him on the trails and work him in our arena more effectively.  The active exercise program kept him sane, and I had a very healthy pregnancy from all that walking next to and behind my horse!  When his program necessitated trotting, my husband started ponying him on dirt roads and trails, which both horses loved.  The program took a lot of our time, but the follow-up ultrasounds have been very encouraging.  There was also some expense, as we have had 2 ultrasounds and one xray so far.  We have one more follow-up ultrasound planned with the MSU vet, who will determine our training plan.  Based on the progress to date, we expect to be doing 25 mile CTRs in 2006.

I've begun light trail and road riding and my horse has regained his big, floaty trot.  Another benefit of doing groundwork and ponying is that he is as sane now as he was when being ridden regularly.  He didn't have a chance to forget his manners because we were working with him so much!

Sandra Wright