[RC] Teaching downhill and guns - Erica DeVoti

Just a couple thoughts re: teaching downhill and guns:

Personally, I feel the most comfortable when a horse can negotiate obstacles (including downhill and up) in a natural manner (i.e. no rider).  After having my horse  carry himself down-a-hill (a very steep hill) a gazillion times w/ me in the lead, he seems to naturally carry me in the same frame as when I decide to get on.

Tailing, however, is another matter and I would not assume to prognosticate on that one (my horses are too good at following, but I am working on it).

Re: Guns--though I don't carry one currently (haven't found a way to carry one "comfortably"-- any help on that would be appreciated), though I oft wish I did.  There are crazies out there.  My personal story on that front includes me being 8 months pregnant w/ an 18 month in tow and being almost assaulted (another man held him back) by a fruitcake carrying a rifle (it was hunting season in the Berkshires of Massachusettes).  I have been on my horse being completely alone coming across quite a few men w/ guns (now I live in Colorado).  I know in my heart most are decent (like my husband who is a hunter) but it only takes one not- so -decent person (the news unfortunately is full of them) and the privacy of the forest can lead many to a path they would not normally take.  It is not wrong to carry a gun and at least feel safer on your rides (esp if you ride alone).  How many have been killed or maimed by wanton female (okay, or male) endurance riders out on a training ride?  It's all about being comfortable while you are out there alone.