Re: [RC] Lady's Gun - Joe Long

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:47:30 -0700, Lif Strand <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 08:54 AM 12/27/2005, CarolLHorne@xxxxxxx wrote:
My husband worries about the kids and me running around the
countryside and would like me to carry a gun.  His gun is a 357, we
looked at one for me, but I find it's a bit much for me to
handle....Any suggestions?

Kel Tec .32 cal. semi-automatic pistol.  Extremely light weight
(about 9.5 oz loaded with 7 rounds) because it's made of ultra high
impact polymer Dupont ST-8018.  Kel Tec says it's the lightest weight
.32 cal pistol manufactured.  Not for use at long range, of course,
but very handy little gun. http://www.kel-tec.com/prod02.htm

When I was a volunteer deputy I carried a .357 Magnum, plus I had a nice light
.380 Walther (the "James Bond" gun) for backup.  The Walther didn't have
anywhere near the stopping power of the .357, but a lot more than a .32 or .22.
The smallest caliber I would consider for a self-defense pistol is a .380 or 9mm
with copper-jacketed hollow-point ammunition.

The problem with light pistols is if you ever have to use one to defend
yourself, they aren't very effective.  If your attacker is a large animal or
some doper hopped up on drugs, you can empty a .22 or .32 into him and he'll
keep coming.  Too many police officers died that way when they carried "Police
Special" .38's, which is a reason most departments have gone to stout 9mm or
Magnums.

Whatever caliber you choose, be sure to load it with the most potent
hollow-point copper-jacketed shells that it is rated for -- again, to get the
maximum stopping power should you ever need it.  Unless you hit a vital spot, an
ordinary slug from a small pistol can just enrage the attacker and put you in
more danger.

You probably will never even come close to actually needing it, even most police
officers go their whole career without ever shooting at anyone.  Only once
during my hours of volunteer service did I even unsnap the safety strap on my
holster.  But I'd rather have a weapon and never need it, than need it and not
have it.

I'll emphasize again that the only justification for shooting a gun at someone
is if that person is putting your life (or the life of another person) in
imminent danger.  In that situation, you want to be sure that when you hit them,
they go down and stay down -- anything less leaves your life in danger.  Light
pistols just won't do that.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx