From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Sky Ranch" <skyranch@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Jonni" <jonnij@xxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2005 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] hills in Florida-Tevis story

Sky Ranch wrote:

Hey Jonni,

If you're interested in some beautiful mountain rides in Colorado, I know
of
a few that are really fun, and beautiful, in the ctr (NATRC) rides.
Since I
have not yet started with the AERC rides I can't tell you about those
(**but
see below for aerc info) -- here's three that I did this past year:

Purgatory (formerly El Jinete ride) near Durango, Colorado (July 22-23) a
pretty difficult ride, with steep narrow trails and some long (not steep,
but steady) climbs, I think ranging from 9 to 10,000 ft elevation, with
great views of surrounding mountains.  Keep in mind you're riding some of
the time on a ski mountain, so you can get the idea of the views and the
trails!  Camp in a mountain valley by a pretty stream.

That area btween Darango and Silverton is one of the most beautiful
places on the face of the earth. I've backpacked just about every square
foot of that country.

There's another two that I have not yet been to, one is Island in the
Sky,
(Aug 19-20) which I've been told is truly awesome in the land of the
lakes
on the mesa above Grand Junction.  It's a fairly flat, high altitude,
ride
on top of a mesa, in the grazing lands of elk and deer, with lots of
lakes
(trout fishing - bring your fishin' poles for the non-riders!).

Ah the Grand Mesa. the big flattop mountain. We used to spend an Oct
weekend up there, hiking, fishing, taking pictures and just unwinding.
Those lakes are some of the best rainbow trout fishing you will find
anyway. Let's see fresh trout for dinner, fresh trout and eggs for
breakfast, yummmmmmmmm......

Rich Childs used to run a ride on Black Mesa. That was an absolutely
beautifuly ride. The ride near Gunninson is a beautiful ride (everything
near Gunninson CO is beautiful). The area the Raton ride is run is
beautiful country ( actually just over the pass from CO in NM). It's one
I'm going to make someday when the schedule works out.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our
humanity."

- Albert Einstein