[RC] tailgating, kickers, and christmas ribbons - Ed Kilpatrick

tailgating horses are usually a result of a loose handle on the saddle horn, operator malfunction in other words.   if your horse is close enough to get kicked, then guess what?   yep, you are too close!  if you cant keep your horse from getting too close, work on it until you can.
we were on a trail ride a couple of years ago.  one of the ladies in my group was riding just ahead of me, single track trail up a long hill, and a group of about 40 horses.  somewhere up ahead, a rider fell off, so the entire procession ground to a halt.  people were getting antsy, stopped on the hill like that.  i cautioned everyone around me to stay calm, keep their horses standing on the trail and to wait until things got moving again.  my friend who was just ahead of me let her horse keep creeping forward in spite of my warning and in spite of the fact that the horse ahead of her had a prominently displayed red ribbon in its tail.  i warned her again,  stay back, keep still.  she kept moving forward and the horse ahead of her kicked, very hard, and viciously.  the kick caught her horse on the shoulder, nearly knocking him down, and also hit her in the hand.   her hand was badly bruised, but miraculously, not broken.  so, some people, you just cant tell them a dadgum thing!  i guess that particular piece of ribbon would have done just as much good tied to a christmas tree.

a wise person learns from his own mistakes, a happy person learns from the mistakes of others!  so, dont be wise, be happy!

merry christmas to all of you!       see you on the trail!     cowboy ed