[RC] up hills and newbies - Sherman

Jonni wrote:

Horses wanting to lope or canter up short steep hills is very common.

It's not only short steep hills, but once they are in condition to do so and have been allowed to, some want to canter up looong, very steep hills......it is really scarry watching horses lounge up the beginning of Wendel Robie's Training Hill (just off the Tevis Trail for those not familiar with the area). The trail is so steep, the horses look like they're on the verge of going over backwards. As steep as it is, all my horses will walk up.  I don't know what the grade is there, but the entire hill is almost a mile long and incredibly steep, with a few sections of a lesser grade for the horses to catch their breath. Even after riding there for over two years, I'm still inclined to make my horse walk all the steep areas, and if she wants to trot beiefly when it's not so steep then I let her.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA