[RC] Tevis Riding Story...Out Of Control - campcaballos

In 1999 I rode Tevis on my lovely gray Arab "Spider".  It was to be his first one day 100 and I had all the jitters that one has before attempting this magnificent ride.  Spider and I had done a few multi-days and I felt that he was well prepared or at the least we had done our homework and were ready for the challenge.  The night before the ride started there was much commotion, vetting in horses, people socializing and making there last minute preparations and then there was the vendors with lots of neat horse items being offered at their booths.

In all the excitement, I got this crazy idea that Spider should be ridden bitless the next day so that he could eat as much as possible without the interference of his bit.  I looked at various hackamores and then noticed a Vosal.  For those of you who are not familiar with a Vosal, it's a v-shaped bar that goes under the horse's chin and when pressure is applied by the reins, it closes and applies pressure to the horse.  I bought a big black fuzzy to cover the nose band so that he wouldn't have any rubbing issues along with new reins and bridle to match.  Now I was set and content knowing that Spider would have the comforts of eating without a bit in his mouth.

We gathered at the start the following morning and it was pitch black, horses stepping on one another, lots of energy in the air and the wait seemed to last forever.  Suddenly we were off and running... not the kind of start that I had anticipated.  Spider was full speed ahead, somewhat controlled but going very fast and completely ignoring the Vosal.  He got worse the further into the ride and soon we were flying and I didn't know what to do.  We hit some bogs, rocky single track, technical trail passages, but nothing slowed this boy down.  We started the first major climb and there was patches of snow with breathtaking beauty that surrounded us.  I did a flying dismount and was now determined to calm my boy down and get into sync, so that we could enjoy our ride.  I was sure at the rate we were going, we'd be lucky if we made it to Robinson Flat.  Spider would have nothing to do with me, totally ignored me and pressed forward, dragging me.  I cried, my arms were like wet noodles, my legs were trembling, I was completely out of breath and felt doomed.  Someone passed us and said get on him and let him go.... he'll tire at the top!  After chasing him in circles as I tried to remount with my worthless body that had zero strength, I managed to get back in the saddle and we shot off like a bullet.  It was scary, exhausting and just no fun.  He never tired and we rode like maniacs until we arrived at Robinson Flat.  I desperately wanted to call it quits and my boyfriend was there waiting with big smiles, all the goodies were set out for both my horse and myself and I couldn't say a thing.  I went straight to the vet and figured that I'd let him be the one to pull us because surely Spider's heart-rate was out of sight.  We vetted through within minutes and the next thing I know we're being filed out the exit area to enjoy our rest stop and continue the adventure.  Spider had bloody raw spots from the Vosal and the vet suggested changing his headgear!!!!  I suggested we quit!!!

The moral of the story... everyone knows..... NEVER change your gear the night before a ride.  As for tailgating, we were very fortunate with timing and there was always enough space between horses.  I certainly wasn't the only one struggling.  I think that year there was a terrible accident too.  The trail can get congested and had that been the case, I don't know what the outcome would have been.