Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] Conditioning Down Hills - Truman Prevatt

Some horses are good down hill horses hitting the ground. Some conformations help the horse be a good downhill horse. What I look for is a horse with a natural long walk with some easy natural overstride of his hind feet over his front at the walk. That means the horse can flex his back more naturally and will naturally and use his hind end better downhill.

I start to work on down hill by lengthening the horse at the walk. I start out on a down hill that is not steep. I want him to drop his head, round his back up under me and stretch his hind legs under him with more impulsion. This will teach him to drop his weight back and use his hind end on the down hills. After that has been mastered start with a few trot steps making sure he keeps the impulsion in place. Then add more trot steps. Once he is comfortable at the trot at a few canter steps. After he has mastered that find a slightly steeper hill and repeat.

Some horses are a natural. I've been lucky to have two of them. Some are not and have to be taught. However, a horse that goes with a hollow back and heavy on his forehand on the flat can not be expected to learn to go balanced downhill until he learns to go balanced on the flat. Sometimes you may need to start from scratch in the ring working on balance.

Truman

April wrote:

Does anybody else have any tips on how to teach a horse to go down hill using his hindquarters correctly? I love Barbara's post, but unless you have a horse that is goosey, it doesn't help much! :-)

Thanks,
April
Nashville, TN
http://www.tracetribute.com
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain