Re: [RC] Question re Running up hills-easiest way? - Diane Trefethen

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Alas, this has been going around the sport for years.  (And nowhere does
traveling downhill put the sort of stress on the forelimbs that jumping
does--that isn't a very accurate analogy, sorry.)
This wasn't intended as an analogy. It was intended to provoke a mental image of the differences in stresses a horse encounters powering upwards vs a horse coming down on its forehand. And why "Alas"? For most of us, it is true.

I was blessed early in my riding career with a horse who naturally went
downhill balanced, and what a treat it is.  There is very little stress
on their forelegs--they round in the back and reach under themselves
with their hind legs, and most of the stress is on the large muscles in
the back of the buttocks...
It is indeed possible to teach most horses to do this, even if they
don't accomplish it naturally.  And if they do it right, then the
theory that they only have so many downhill miles is no longer
relevant.
Every word here is true. Unfortunately, an Endurance Ride is not exactly a collection of well-balanced horses and riders with excellent form. Cast your mind back over the last thousand or so Ridecamp posts and you'll find hundreds commenting on unbalanced or out-of-control horses and riders but probably not even one about what a beautifully balanced horse someone saw at her last endurance ride or how some horse literally floated downhill. That's because you don't see many of those riders or horses. The vast majority, I'd guess over 80%, of horses go downhill on their forehands and their riders are either canted forward or leaning too far back. Thus for the vast majority, going downhill IS stressful and as Bill said, such miles are definitely limited.

 So going downhill is tougher on the hind end, rather than on the
forehand, if done properly--the hind end and the back do most of the
work and take most of the weight.
Key words are "if done properly". I'll read between your lines and conclude that you think that if done IMPROPERLY, it's tougher on the forehand than on the hind which is the reality for the majority of Endurance Riders.

And to me this is really important. By stating that trotting downhill balanced is "very little stress on their forelegs", WITHOUT the caveat that Bill was absolutely right about the limited number of miles you can trot downhill out of balance, you do a real disservice to less talented riders, ie, most of us. Heidi said trotting downhill is not stressful, they'll remember, forgetting the little word "balanced". So they'll happily trot down hills knowing that Heidi said it wasn't hard on the horse's front legs. Bad news. Done improperly, it IS hard.

Picture one of those chairs for invalids that go up and down stairs. They glide up; they glide down. The seat of the chair remains perfectly level. When you ride down a slope that is not very steep, on a well-balanced horse that properly reaches under itself, your saddle should feel almost as level. You shouldn't feel as if you are being pitched forward nor should you feel the need to lean back to balance the horse's downward motion. UNLESS you feel this comfortable, this level, trotting downhill WILL put a lot of stress on your horse's forehand, especially when you hit the bottom of the hill.

Roberta Lieberman (rlieberman@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:36:45 -0500