Re: [RC] tailgating/tailgaitors - heidi larson

Ash has never been a kicker unless provocked and I mean really provocked.  Like a green gelding reaching out and actually biting his ass.  He let it go about 4 times and finally had enough.  He swished, he tucked his butt and the gelding wouldn't listen so he popped him.  I still reprimanded him, but internally I cheered.  Second time I rode with a gal I'd just met, her mare kept riding Ash's butt, but she wouldn't lead, so she was stuck behind us.  It took til she stepped on his rear shoe and pulled it partways off til he kicked out.  Not hard, but a warning shot.  Other than that, he's not what I'd call a kicker.

heidi

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Buddy Gleason glea6826@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kicking. That can happen anytime. Remember, the inherent danger of the horse. However, the tailgaitor's horse could step forward, reach out, and on to the rear bulb of the lead horse hind foot. Resulting in serious injury. A serious tear. It just makes sense to have the knowledge and judgement to always know this can happen when you are too close together. Move over and let the faster horse pass. Or ride along and enjoy each other's company.Whatever you do, don't put the horse in danger. I am sure two horses close together can judge just how close too close is, without riders and their hardware, bits, etc. influencing the horse they are astride. It isn't the horse that is being aggressive. It is the rider. Buddy.

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine