Re: [RC] tailgating/tailgaitors - Truman Prevatt

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Buddy Gleason glea6826@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kicking. That can happen anytime. Remember, the inherent danger of the horse. However, the tailgaitor's horse could step forward, reach out, and on to the rear bulb of the lead horse hind foot. Resulting in serious injury. A serious tear. It just makes sense to have the knowledge and judgement to always know this can happen when you are too close together. Move over and let the faster horse pass. Or ride along and enjoy each other's company.Whatever you do, don't put the horse in danger. I am sure two horses close together can judge just how close too close is, without riders and their hardware, bits, etc. influencing the horse they are astride. It isn't the horse that is being aggressive. It is the rider. Buddy.

Good point Buddy. I've actually had a rear shoe pulled on my horse because the horse in back stepped on it. Needless to say I wasn't happy about it. Everyone needs to ride like they would like everyone else to ride. The butt of the horse in front of you is not your brake. If you can't keep you horse off another's butt then you should be in the arena working with the horse not on the trail. If a horse has a kicking problem they should get some training before they are out on the trail.

However, I've been in situations where the same rider ran up my mares butt over and over. It was clear he had no control of his horse. The only reason he was running up my mare's butt was the horse beside me was a stallion and the rider and warned him. He would not pass us. I politely told him that the mare was getting good and sick of it (which she was). I told him she had the power in her rear end to clear a four foot fence with no problem (which she could). I told him she was 16 hands and if she decided to kick it would most likely catch him in the chest and send him into last week. I gave him the option to pass us or suffer the consequences. He chose to pass - his horse ran off with him. The next we saw of him was in the check. He was pulled - his horse was lame.

The moral of the story is everyone has a responsibility on the trail. Horses are horses and all of them will kick if provoked enough. If a horse is not controllable - don't bring him to an endurance ride.

Truman

--

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)