[RC] "Tailgating"/blaming the victim? - Carolyn Burgess

I've owed two kickers (a mare and a gelding).  Worked both through it, but I always put a red ribbon in their tails.  You cannot imagine how many riders would still ride up on their butts.  Both horses would behave at the beginning, but after repeatedly being bashed into, they would both just pick up the back leg and wave it at the horse behind.  Then the riders would yell at me to keep my horse under control.

It is hard enough to own a kicker.  Even when you have worked through the issue, there is always the chance that the horse could kick out.  So you are always worried about the other horse and rider, and then you have inconsiderate people who ride on your ass. Most riders respect a red ribbon, so I often ride with one just to keep people off my ass.

Carolyn Burgess