[RC] riders riding under your horse's tail - ChristaBas

Hi all,
  I'm new here, but been reading for a bit...lots of good info!  I wanted to mention that if I've ever ridden up under your horse's tail, I'm sorry!  My gelding is 16.1 hands, most of that is leg, and he sure does use them!  He can walk along side most trotting horses... AND he was once a camp horse.  This means for many years he was "trained" to ride with his nose to the horse in front's tail.  He was finally sold because he walks so fast he kept getting TOO close and irritating some of the other camp horses!  He has never been aggresive, and will ride in front or back, he just has such a long stride he is faster than almost every horse I've ever ridden with.  We are working on the not getting so close thing, but it is also frustrating to be continually telling him "slower" when behind a horse we can't pass, and "faster" when in front.  Any tips on teaching him to slow down that big walk when behind but extend when in front?

Thanks,
Christa
East Texas for two more weeks, then Southern CA!