Re: [RC] Tailgating a kicker - rdcarrie

Yep...my horses get in trouble for even threatening another horse.  Being allowed to pin ears leads to more overt threats.  My 6 yr old kicked at another horse at his first ride last February.  He'd ridden an entire loop and a half with that horse, and had shown not the slightest threat behavior.  It caught me by surprise when he kicked out as we trotted along (the other horse was NOT right on his tail).  But I "tore him a new one" right then and there...kicked him forward, yelled at him, swatted him on the neck with my hand, and spun him in circles.  For about 5 seconds, I did my best to make him think he was gonna die.  Then lined him back out and on we went...no grudge held, but I was sure on alert.  That was last Feb - he's been fine at every ride since.  But he still hasn't earned the right to not wear a red ribbon...he's gonna have to prove to me that he's reformed for a while longer yet.  <G>

Dawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonni <jonnij@xxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:18:29 -0600
Subject: [RC] Tailgating a kicker

You need to punish her before she kicks. In my book, the thought is as bad as the action. If she pins her ears, get after her. And one swat on the butt for starting to back towards another to kick is not enough. She would have got religion right then and there. That does not mean beating the crap out of her. Swat her forward, then put her into some kind of work immediately. Circles, forward, what ever so she know that was NOT acceptable behavior.  If she is aggressive towards other horses on the trail, and is getting away with it, then you have not establishing yourself as being in charge.

Don't get you, her, or someone else or their horse kicked or hurt....... nip it in the bud now..
Jonni