[RC] Newbie questions - KKMoonshadowrnch

Hi Dana, since I have ridden some AERC and also like NATRC so I thought I would try and answer some of your questions.

<I have participated in a few R4 NATRC Competitive Trail Rides over the =
years, the last one being at the 6-0 Ranch in Cleburne, Texas. I have =
only rode at a Novice level, but find the speed to be too slow for my =
horse's comfort. Although he is 1/2 QH, he LIVES to "hook it" on down =
the trail!! I would try NATRC "Open" level, but quite honestly do not =
like the idea of "mounted forward motion only" for 40+ miles... which =
brings me to AERC. >

     I agree that the novice level for NATRC is quite slow.  I don't know how folks stand going that slow.  But then I have been impressed that for the real Newbies, it really is all they can sometimes handle and come in feeling successful and that distance riding is something that they CAN do.  A real eye opener for me.

<As I understand it, a 25 mile ride is done in one day, but you can =
dismount and actually WALK DOWN THE TRAIL (unmounted forward motion) =
enroute to the finish line, if you wish. I REALLY like that concept. I =
used to think doing 25 miles at once was INSANE... but the way I figure =
it now (after conditioning for years), riding a NATRC Novice 15-20 miles =
in one day is fairly easy, so if I can actually get off and walk a bit, =
stretch my legs, loosen my girth and "refresh", I can most certainly do =
a 25 with proficiency, maybe even more. So, is this true... the =
allowance of getting off and walking your horse down the trail?>

     Yes, this is true.  In an endurance ride you can run the whole ride alongside your horse if you want to.  Remember it's the first team over the line that wins in endurance.  In CTR it's a slightly different sport.  In CTR your horse is being evaluated in how well he carries you over the course.  And you are being evaluated in how well you can ride that horse over the same course as the others and have the least amount of impact on that horse's condition.  Being able to get  off and walk or run alongside your horse in an endurance ride is a very nice thing though.  I do love the ability to stretch and use those different muscle groups in this old body. :)

<Can you give me an idea of what a typical ride day is, from start to =
finish?>

    I'll try and be brief here and put my preferances.
    -  Always try and arrive on Friday in time to set up camp, register, vet in your horse and make the riders meeting (your whole next day will go smoother if you make the riders meeting)
    -Have your tack all packed and ready to go for in the AM.
    -  Get up 1- 1 &1/2 hours before your ride starts so that you don't have to hurry.
    -  Have at least a light breakfast before the start.
     -  If you are new and you have been riding NATRC, you probably won't want to start with the leaders so you can wait 5 minutes or so for most of them to get out of camp.  There again though, it seems to me that the worst wrecks seem to happen in the middle of the pack starters as there are a larger number of greener horses and inexperienced riders.
    - I like to decide ahead of time how fast I want to ride a certain loop and then try and stick with that plan.
     -  sometimes the ride managers will give you a heads up when you are getting close to the vet check.  I always get off and walk in for ths last 1/2 mile or so.  It's always better IMO to come into the vet check already pulsed down.
    -  As soon as you get to the vet check, offer water, offer food.  Have him pulsed down right away so that your hold time starts.  You can wait a bit to let him eat some but if there is a line I try and vet through as soon as possible.  Usually that means feeding my horse while we are waiting in line.
    -  After you vet him in you can finish letting him eat, adjust your tack.  Get your something to eat drink, refill your water bottles.  If it's a short hold time and I have no crew (usually)  I am not concerned with getting out right on time myself.  I figure I need a break too.
    -  When you complete, treat it just like a regular vet check and get your horse his completion vet check done as soon as possible.  After that you can relax, take everything back to your trailer and get your horse comfortable.  Keep checking on your horse often, give him time to relax, then you can rub him down, clean him up some.  Nick really hates being groomed right after the ride. Take him for frequent walks, even if he is in a pen or corral.
    -  I like to go back to the vet check area and watch/help talk to the other riders crew.  You can learn a lot just from watching the more experience riders and crews who are on the longer rides in what they do.
    -  I always try and stay for awards and try and haul out the next day so that my horse has lot's of time to rest recoup, but most of the rides are a haul for me and the awards is the fun time, IMO.

<Also, I've been told that Endurance Riders are a bit more, uh... =
"unmannered" than other distance riding associations - and although =
there are good guys and bad guys in EVERY part of the planet, I am =
wondering where manners come into play in AERC... in NATRC, people are =
polite when passing, courteous and kind on the trail, helpful, etc... =
usually... is this how it is on the AERC trail too?  Are you judged on =
horsemanship or simply your ability to get from point A to point B =
intact, healthy and in a timely manner? >

   Generally, experienced riders are very polite, courteous and helpful.  But there are always a few newbies and then you never know, there might be a person with an unruly horse who can become frustrated "cause that wasn't the horse they brought to the ride".  I think we all try and be as pleasant and helpful as possible to those folks at least here in the PNW.

<Although I DO like NATRC, they seem to be very "rule oriented" and I =
think perhaps I may be more at home with more "relaxed" company... is =
AERC more "relaxed" than NATRC?  In NATRC, we all have to keep our =
horses the same way (tied to the trailer for the most part), they judge =
your trailer set up, judge your horse keeping, judge your horsemanship, =
set up and judge you on obstacles on the trail, sometimes even watch you =
with binoculars, require only mounted forward motion (you can get off =
and stop, or walk back down the trail only), vet check in, vet check =
out, P&R's on the trail, etc, etc.... does AERC do things that way? HOW =
does AERC do "things" ? How does one know how to behave at an Endurance =
ride?>

     Yes, endurance riders are for the most part way more relaxed.  In NATRC all the judging is really supposed to be for educational purposes.  If you notice, the points for your campsite isn't much.  I know I have a hard time with that stuff also sometimes, although I have not competed much with NATRC and I don't really feel that limiting portable corrals really makes any difference at all.  Most of their rules are really to try and level the playing field.  IMO sometimes you really just can't make everything totally fair.  I think you should behave at an endurance ride just like you would at a NATRC ride.  That is what NATRC has been trying to groom you for, to be a good horseman and courteous and fair competitor in the sport of distance riding who foremost puts the welfare of his horse above all else.

< My 10 year old daughter would compete with me too, so I also need =
"kid" advice.>
  I can't give kid advice, but I'm sure others will.  I have been totally impressed with the quality of kids riding endurance though.

<PS: Please forgive my constant reference to NATRC, but it's the >thing I know that I can compare/contrast too... I know what I like about =
it, but I know what I don't like too... you know?>

    Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.  I really do love endurance riding.  What I don't like and what I miss is that I really don't like to ride as fast as most of those top tenners.  That's why I love the tough mountainous rides.  Everyone has to "slow down some".  And yet I have this little bit of competitive spirit that just isn't satisfied totally with endurance.  I really miss the challenge of CTR.  Yes, I can ride for a great vet card and a completion award, but I don't know, it just hasn't been enough for me.  This year I hope to make some CTR's in Canada and in CA.  Good luck on your first 25 miler.  I'm sure you will have a great time.  Later,

Kathy & Nick
Moonshadow Ranch
McKenna, WA