[RC] diesel automatic vs. manual - Dawn Simas

I have a '92 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins, automatic.  I love it.  I have 250,000 miles on it (lots of pulling) and haven't replaced the tranny yet.  And I like that it's smoother for the horses in general.  I get 20 mpg (still) empty, about 16 or 17 mpg with a trailer, and 12-14 mpg with my camper on and a trailer.

One thing I noticed when checking the Gross Vehicle Combined Rating (max load truck and trailer) is only 12,000#.  The truck weighs 7,000, so that leaves only 5,000 more for my camper and trailer (which is why I have a popup camper at 1200# and a Brenderup Baron at 4500# loaded).

But a manual transmission in the same truck (this is listed in the towing section of the owners manual) ups the rating to 17,000#.  Big difference!

Dawn