Re: [RC] Tailgating - DESERTRYDR1

From my dressage training, I know that the time to influence a horse's length
stride is when that leg is off the ground.  That's why people suggest the
"bump every other stride" thing.  It's important to get the timing right.  If
you
know when the horse picks up the left hind, bumping or squeezing slightly
when that leg is off the ground should increase the length of that stride, then
do the same thing when the right hind is off the ground.  That's the theory
behind the suggestion, which I find helpful.

I do this for about five or so "sets" of strides, then quit, to see if the
horse will keep the rhythm on his own.  If not, I go back to the bump or
squeeze
for another set of strides.  You don't really want to have to do this all the
time, the horse should learn to walk faster/longer on its own, with an
occasional reminder from you.

Another thing that works is a modification of this.  I sort of Push with my
seatbone on the side that is off the ground, sort of an exaggerated following
with the seat.  Works good when the horse understands that I mean "go longer"
without having to bump him.  Also helps my pelvis and back stay more limber,
which I desperately need right now, as it's been 3 weeks since I've had a
chance
to ride, and my low back is SO sore and stiff!

Too darn cold here (I'm whining about our 20 degree weather, too spoiled by
our usual 30-40 winter temps)  jeri