[RC] Cold feet and frozen troughs - Julie Fuller

These topics have been discussed quite a bit here lately, and since I havent seen these two suggestions yet, I'll chime in.

Having suffered for years with cold feet while riding, I finally have boots that really work. (I used toe warmers for quite a while, and while they kept my toes from freezing, they didn't keep them warm)

Columbia Bugaboo boots have been my solution. They keep my feet WARM, even toasty, no matter how cold it is, what the windchill is, how long I ride, or whatever. They fit in Easy Rider stirrups. AND I can hike in them... even long distances. They run about $90-100 and come in men and women's sizes.

And about frozen troughs. I saw this in The Horsemans Scrapbook by Randy Steffan. It is a compilation of horse/ranch related tips submitted to Western Horseman magazine. (Makes a great Christmas present)

Anyway, this isn't something you can do right now, with the ground frozen, but you could do it in spring or summer and avoid the problem next year.

You dig a hole in the ground, a bit smaller than the circumference of your trough. Dig it deeper than the frost line for your area. Put your trough on top, and let nature keep your trough thawed. I would imagine in high wind areas it would work better to have your trough in some sort of insulated box. And itf you've got really soft ground, you would want to line the hole with rocks, bricks or concrete to keep it from eroding or caving in.

This seems like it would be worth the effort in area where winter is below freezing much of the time. My troughs are frozen solid right now, but we have a spring in the pasture for the horses, so it's no big deal. However, all the other critters here have frozen water that I must thaw every morning. I am going to try this idea (on a small scale) for each of the areas separate from the pasture that do not have a creek or spring.

Off to bake bread and put more wood in the stove!

Julie
Washougal WA.
24 degrees/45 mph wind/gusts to 65 Weeeeee!