[RC] KER Yeast/hind gut PH Article - April

Here is a link to a study that may be the one Bruce is referring to below.
http://www.ker.com/library/equinereview/su13.pdf

KER is an addicting place to hang out.
http://www.ker.com/library/index.asp

April
Nashville, TN

On 12/15/05, Bruce Weary < bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   Mike has a good point. I'll try to sway the conversation toward
something more useful and scientific. I came across an article on the
KER website, where they tested the effect of yeast (saccharomyces
cerevisiae) on the pH of the hindgut of the horse. They tested diets
with high grain content as well as a high fiber diet. They fed yeast in
some and not in others. They found that the yeast-fed horses had a
higher pH in the hind gut (less acidic, a good thing) than those not fed
the yeast. Up to four times less acidic, and presumably less likely to
cause colic. They feel that the results were caused by the yeast
encouraging the production of bacteria that utilize lactic acid as fuel
and decreased the production of lactic acid-producing bacteria. They
also postulated that the yeast encouraged the breakdown of fiber, adding
to the buffering effect on the hindgut. As a side note, the fermentation
process that is promoted by yeast aids in the release of volatile fatty
acids, that the horse can use for aerobic work.
  I have fed Diamond V yeast for years, and have virtually no tummy
problems. I never have difficulty keeping weight on my horses either.
They get so much more out of their hay, and I feed very little grain
overall, other than that which I feed after a hard workout or during an
endurance ride.
   Any comments?   Bruce Weary