[RC] Tailgating - Beth Bliss

"I can hold her to a walk, but she will power-walk until she is right on the other horse's tail again. Since this is a habit that is universally disliked, can I get some pointers on how to fix this before it becomes permanent? Thanks.
Lani
First of all, I think it is wonderful that you can hold her to a walk, and that she doesn't jig when behind.  On some horses just getting from the jig when behind to the power walk when behind is a struggle.

I really wonder over the horses desire to stay so close to the horse ahead of them. It must be a predator/prey/herd thing, since it is so prevalent.  How close do they follow each other on single track trails in the wild - anybody know?

If they can walk slower when directly behind the lead horse, they can walk at that speed when they are a couple of horse-lengths behind the lead horse, where we riders are safer.

I like to play leap frog when working on this problem, and use drill team like tactics.

Friend and I go riding.  We agree to take turns leading for a set number of minutes, say 10.  When leading, you can call for maneuvers.  For example, call for the follower to pass you at a trot on the left then slow to a walk.  Then you pass them at a trot on the left and pull in and slow to a walk.  Or as the leader, turn back and circle the follower.  When you have more riders, you can space out and zig-zag from front to back or from back to front.  I think this has helped all the horses in our group(s) learn to put up with horses passing, in learning to maintain a safe distance when on the trails, and keeping more focused on their rider, rather than the other horses.  When the group is larger, we also mix up the order of the line up at regular intervals.  It is a lot of fun.

Good luck.
Beth Bliss