[RC] tailgating - Jonni

Diane posted : >>>Practiced over and over, he will come to realize that HE
is in control of what is a safe distance back, NOT THE OTHER HORSE. "I can
drop back. I can catch up." For your horse, this realization is a tremendous
confidence booster and you are on your way to his
learning that when a horse in front takes off, it is the OTHER horse that is
leaving the "herd", not him :)<<<

I want to add to that. We often create some bad habits in our horses,
without actually knowing it. One of them is allowing them to decide WHEN to
change gate. When riding with others, I make sure that if the horse in front
of me changes gate and speeds up, my horse does not automatically do the
same without my giving the cue to do so. If my friend trots off, I make sure
we get a few more walk steps before I squeeze my legs to indicate it is time
to trot. If we are stopped, and a friend starts to leave, we wait until I
decide it is time to do so. In the beginning, do not let that herd leave and
get too far ahead, thus creating your horse to get anxious. But after
awhile, you will find most can have another horse trot off and leave them,
with yours having little to no anxiety. But if you allow your horse to
automatically pick up the trot as your friend does so, then that often leads
to a horse that gets more and more herd bound. Easier to teach it in the
beginning, than to try to fix it later.

Jonni
www.pbase.com/photobyjonni