[RC] tailgating - Anita Messenger

Mare is independent when in front, but tailgates when
in back.... I can hold her to a walk, but she will
power-walk until she is right on the other horse's
tail again. Lani>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lani, since I know you are riding a Morab mare, I can
relate to this. We also ride Morabs and Morgans, and
they tend to be very forward moving "power-walkers".
We personally like a horse that can cover ground like
this, and don't want to discourage them from doing it.
We solved our problem by riding with others who are
also riding Morabs/Morgans/Arabians that are
power-walkers. Then we can go at the same pace, and
our horses are all happy. Some gaited horse have been
good for us to ride with, too. Our horses can keep up
with them with no trouble.

A friend of our's who bought one of our Morab mares
lets me borrow her once in a while for trail rides.
This mare has no tolerance for a horse that gets in
front of her and won't get out of the way. She wants
past them and in FRONT. She doesn't really fight you,
but you can feel the power in her and the frustration.
She's not concerned about the other horses - she will
leave them all in her dust if you let her. If another
horse is keeping up with her, she's fine with that as
long as it doesn't get in front of her and impede her
forward motion by going slower than she is. I love
riding this mare. :-) She is 3/4 Arabian and 1/4
Morgan.

We had an Arab mare, too, that was a real power-walker
forward moving horse. She was bad about getting real
lathered up if you tried to hold her back, but I
discovered that if I rode her with a sidepull instead
of a bit, she behaved much better. She came to us
already broke and trail ridden. On a halter she was
like a big puppy dog, but put a bit in her mouth and
she was all fired up to go. With the sidepull, I could
bring her in quiet and dry, but she still had plenty
of *go*.

Anita
http://libertymtnranch.faithweb.com

...where the spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty...

Quote from Judge Roy Moore of Alabama:

"Anytime you deny the acknowledgement of God you are undermining the entire
basis for which our country exists. Rights come from God, not from government.
If government can give you rights, government can take them away from you. If
God gives you rights, no man and no government can take them away from you.
That was the premise of the organic law of this country, which is the
Declaration of Independence. Because, if there is no God, then man's power is
the controlling aspect, and therefore power will be centralized."

"If there is no place for civil disobedience, then the government has been made
autonomous, and as such, it has been put in the place of the living God."
Francis Schaeffer

http://mail.yahoo.com