Re: [RC] Fw: OT - Petition against the use of Buckles and bands on Morgans - Jeanne Slominski

Thanks for your clarification, however the original intent was to allow horses with bands for therapeutic purposes to be shown in the ring. Obviously, these bands will be used on sound horses for the purpose of allowing the use of the thickest pad and shoe with the longest allowable hoof length - not something responsible Morgan owners would like to see in the show ring.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Fw: OT - Petition against the use of Buckles and bands on Morgans

Just to clarify.....

Banding is common is any breed that shows "park" (arabs, saddlebreds and walkers as well).  The band's actual purpose is to allow you to "stack" (several layers of wedge pads, to boost the heel, thus the hoof angle).  The band attaches to the heel of the shoe, ground side of the pads, to help hold the bulk and weight, as nails can't complete the job. In many shows/organizations "padding" is prohibited.  Thus enters the weighted shoe, rocker bars, and now the weighted band.  The concept behind all these contraptions is to burden the front hooves, so the horse will lift his entire leg extremely and tuck in under the knee.

Yes, banding is done for theraputic reasons also, though not very often.  Horses requiring bands to be sound, wouldn't be competing at this level anyway. (generally speaking -- there is always that exception)

Not condoning, just clarifying.  I will share, I have worked on several ex-padded show horses that were completely sound and no worse for wear. I own a sound 29yo arab mare that was shown padded until 10yo (not by me, I don't do rings!).  I'm sure others have different stories they can share to shed some light on the issue.

Jen, Farrier in VA