[RC] re: seeking advise -horses wont drink from tank anymore - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Teresa Van Hove tvanhove@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I removed the metal tank, put in 2 Rubbermaid tanks, I have moved the horses to
different pens with different tanks, I have tried floating carrots and apples
in the water, I even put peppermint extract in the water because I heard horses
like peppermint, but I can only get 3 horses to drink out of the water tanks.
The other 4 will only drink out of buckets.

My moms TB bit his heater cord several years ago and shocked himself and quit
drinking.  Once we figured out he was scared of the tank (it was metal) we
watered him from buckets, then 15 gal rubber feeders and then put in a
rubbermaid tank with the heater that mounts thru the drain plug (--this was
mainly so we could keep the cord away from him )   So it might help if you can
change the heater type, espcially if its a floating heater that they can see.
and I would try working them up to the new tanks with bigger and bigger
alternate containers, and the bigger your container of water the longer it will
take to freeeze up till you get them over this.

--- It'd be a pita, but if you think they are hearing or otherwise sensing the
tank heaters perhaps you'll have to buy one of those double walled tanks that
is mounted over a deep ground hole -- I dont recall the brand name, but I heard
about them on RC say 1 to 3 years ago so a search should turn them up or
perhaps someone who is using them will re-post the info.