[RC] Don't dismount when your horse is pointed downhill - Simrat Khalsa

... or is a lenscap really worth it?

It was one of those stupid accidents that just happen sometimes. I was riding out on some nearby residential roads and dropped my lens cap. I was getting off to retrieve it, when Lily dove for a bite of grass. That and the fact that she was headed downhill, made me loose my balance halfway down and tumble. Nothing hurt to badly, but I could tell right away that my wrist was not okay; my hand was all crooked and while my fingers worked, they had no strength and it felt wierd.

I had to walk back to the barn, untack Lily and wait for my husband, who was on his way to take me to the hospital. I was disoriented enough that it took me a little bit to figure out how to dial my cell phone. I tried calling the barn, thinking that they could come get me with the trailer. No one was home, so I called the husband instead.

I go in to see the orthopedist on Monday and will know more then. From my internet research, I think it is a Barton's fracture to my distal radius. The end of the radius is broken into 2 or 3 pieces. They had to sedate me to put it back in place. I hope that will take care of it and that I don't need surgery. Any healing vibes would be appreciated.

I didn't end up with the lens cap either. I picked it up and dropped it 2 or 3 times and finally just said, forget it! It is back out there in the grass somewhere. And I even had a lens cap leash on it. The elastic around the lens had gotten loose. it is all just as well as I was rather shocky and trying to carry my camera and lead Lily with my good hand. I do remember thinking of putting it in my pocket, but it seemed like too much trouble at the time.

~~gimpy (feeling kinda silly having gotten hurt just getting off my horse)

Simrat Khalsa
Eugene, OR
http://akalranch.com/
simrat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx