Re: [RC] Splints - Barbara McCrary

That is my understanding, as well.  Members of our family have ridden horses with splints over many years.  As long as it is healed and not a HUGE splint, the horse should be fine.  The only splint we ever had trouble with was so large that it impinged on the underlying suspensory ligament.  That particular horse was compromised for the rest of his life......sound as a pleasure horse only.  He could do 50 miles and was lame the next day.  This effectively ended his career as a multi-day horse.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: coverdale
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:17 AM
Subject: [RC] Splints

I'm debating purchasing a 5 yo horse that, from the description provided to me, has a splint, that has healed. In fact, this horse has been evaluated by a veterinarian, and he evidently showed no concern over the blemish. This horse will become my (or the husband's) long-term LD partner.  In my life prior to endurance, splints weren't a cause for concern unless they were too near the knee. Any thoughts?