[RC] Caught in a .....um....lie? - k s swigart - Karen Standefer

Kat, I don’t receive individual mails and it’s easy to miss things when you read from the archives, but saying that I lied is a far stretch and rude.

In addition, I don’t think your explanation is plausible for a lot of horses who are tender on the rocks and get immediate relief when shoes are applied.  There are many reasons for a horse to be sore on the rocks and not all of them have to do with excessive wear.   Shoes will make the horse comfortable in some of those conditions and not in others.

Karen

KAT said:

Karen Standefar said:

> Referenced Post:
> I would like an answer to a question from the
> farriers vets out there that think shoeing in necessary.
> Why does an 1/8 of an inch shoe make a horse not sore
> over 2 inch rock
> I wasn't going to get in on this thread, but because nobody ever
> attempted to answer this question when I asked it (couple years
> ago), I thought I'd offer my opinion/experience.

Karen is mistaken?  While she did, indeed ask this same question, it was
about three years ago (Dec 2001); it is simply not true that nobody
answered it.  I did.  I refer you to my post from back then:

http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/archives/past/01/51/msg00212.html

And the answer is still the same.  A metal shoe (none of mine are an
 1/8" thick, but I will give the original poster the benefit of the
doubt and assume that since she doesn't shoe her horses, she doesn't
know how thick horse shoes are :)) keeps a horse from getting sore over
rocks, not because it protects the sole from the rocks, but rather
because it keeps the sole from wearing off, so it doesn't get so thin
that it needs protection.

One would hope that this time, the person asking the question will pay
more attention when s/he gets an answer :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.