[RC] Barefooter's Question - Karen Standefer

Referenced Post:

I would like an answer to a question from the farriers vets out there that think shoeing in necessary. Why does an 1/8 of an inch shoe make a horse not sore over 2 inch rock

I wasn’t going to get in on this thread, but because nobody ever attempted to answer this question when I asked it (couple years ago), I thought I’d offer my opinion/experience.

When I was an avid barefooter (I still leave my horses barefoot as much as possible, but not during training or competition) I asked this question over and over and never got an answer.  Well, I got the answer all by myself.  The 1/8” of shoe protects the sole depth immediately below the coffin bone and keeps it from wearing excessively and soring the horse (or worse, causing pedal osteotis).  I also think there is a possibility that it keeps a flimsy hoof more rigid which may also lend some comfort/support to a hoof that has a weak laminar connection.

When you’re riding barefoot on abrasive ground the toe area usually receives the most wear.  If not protected, the sole in this area will become very thin and the horse will become sore.

Many horses do not have the correct hoof shape – their hooves are oblong instead of round.  The norm for this hoof conformation is for the soles to be thin.  This type of horse needs shoes to be able to traverse rocky ground (and sometimes even requires pads because shoes don’t even offer enough protection).  So, taking the shoes off this type of hoof cause the hoof to be sore, but putting the shoes back on gives pretty immediate comfort.  It doesn’t have anything to do with circulation or lack of circulation.  It’s just simple mechanics.  The sole of the hoof is filled with miniscule blood vessels.  Dr. Bowker’s thought is that this extra, otherwise un-necessary blood is there for concussion relief (think “gel soles”).  If the sole looses depth, then it also looses that protection from concussion. On abrasive terrain this can happen very quickly.  Once the cushioning is gone, the possibility for bruising the coffin bone is high.

Karen

.