[RC] Just how "evil" is alfalfa? or why I don't feed alfalfa any more - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ron Shaffer ron.shaffer@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am also in S. CA and lost a horse to Enteroliths a few years
ago.  It was the most miserable experiance of my life.  I do not
feed alfalfa any more after doing a great deal of research on
the subject (of Enteroliths).  Arabs acording to the UC study
are more prone to them than most other breeds and CA horses are
10x more likely to get Enteroliths than horses in any other
state - from an article in Equus that I can't find right now.
The horse I lost was not an Arab it was a Thoroughbred but I now
have 2 Arabs and a QH.  Alfalfa is not part of their diets.

This is from the UC Davis web site:

Helpful Tips - Volume 16, Number 1, March 1998

Preventing Enteroliths

Enteroliths are stones that form around a foreign object in the
intestine of horses, similar to a pearl. The stones are composed
primarily of struvite which is a combination of magnesium,
ammonium and phosphate. The struvite crystals are laid down in
concentric rings around objects such as sand, pebbles, plastic,
twine, hair, etc. Smaller enteroliths are passed through the
intestine and may be found in stalls or paddocks. Larger ones
will result in fatal colic unless surgically removed.

The number of enterolith cases seen at UC Davis has steadily
increased over the last decade. In 1983, 18 cases were admitted
to UCD with a diagnosis of enteroliths and in 1992, there were
106 cases. So what can you do?

Feed oat or grass hay. 98% of horses with enteroliths had a diet
of 50% alfalfa hay.

Reduce or eliminate bran from your horse's diet. Bran provides
high levels of phosphorus which may contribute to enterolith
formation.

Increase your grain to hay ratio which will decrease the pH
level in the colon. Horses with enteroliths had high pH levels
in their colons.

Add one cup of vinegar a day to your horse's diet which will
also decrease intestinal pH levels.

Increase feedings to three to four times a day. Infrequent
feedings contribute to reducing the movement of bulk feed
material through the large intestine which may provide a
favorable environment for stones to incubate and grow.

Provide daily exercise and avoid prolonged stall confinement
which also contributes to reduced intestinal movement of feed.

Bed on straw instead of shavings. Straw provides an opportunity
for horses to nibble on a high fiber, bulk feed material
throughout the day which is low in magnesium, phosphorus and
protein.