[RC] most efficient gate for endurance horse? - Tracey Smith

Okay...here's a newbie question.  I have been following the trot vs. canter debate with great interest and am wondering is it not best to let my horse decide which gait is most efficient for her?  And before anyone flames...NO I don't mean let her be in charge going down the trail, but don't most horses have a preference for one over the other?

Amira so far to me seems to prefer the trot and has a great huge ground covering one she can do forever.  Having only been under saddle about 2 years she does canter and has a very smooth and controlled canter, but when "left to her own" will often voluntarily drop back into a trot.  She trots so fast that many of my riding buddies HAVE to canter just to keep up with her and often if she's being a good girl I have "let her choose" the gait then they are cantering and she might break into a canter for a few strides but then goes back into her trot and is happy to be there.  But then there are days when she seems to prefer it.

So, basically if the horse is minding me as a rider, is there anything wrong with letting her pick her gait?  She has so far shown me she knows when she needs to slow down and will even slow down to a walk if she is tired so I trust her not to "overdo it".

Tracey Smith
"Love the horse beneath you." - Cosack saying