[RC] Management question - Nancy Sturm

I've always sort of thought that I needed to commit to one sort of pasture/stabling situation in the fall and carry through with it until it begins to warm up in the spring.

This year a heavy (for Southern Oregon) snowfall has really blocked the 1 1/2 miles of trail we have always used to access miles and miles of forest service roads and single track trails.  My daughter would like to move her horse to a boarding facility at the other end of the 1 1/2 mile trail so she can start conditioning now.  At our place, her gelding is outdoors in the daytime with a waterproof turnout blanket and in the barn at night with the same blanket.  We leave all the doors , except the bottom half of the dutch stall doors, and windows open.

Would he be able to tolerate a switch to being turned out 24/7 with a three-sided shelter?  It's down in the mid 30's at night right now, rarely gets to 20.

Nancy Sturm

Nancy Sturm
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.