[RC] WEC observations - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nancy Elliot ndedvm@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Once again, many assumptions and statements when facts aren't known, by people
distant from any part of the event. This time, I don't have the defensiveness
present when reading uninformed postings after other WECs of which I had an
integral part. I'm just another observer following the latest on the internet,
but perhaps with more perspective after having attended all but the first('86)
and third ('90) WECs. I have been an alternate ('92), volunteer crew/pit stop
helper ('88,'92,'94,'02) and on US vet team ('96,'98,'00). Oh yeah, and
selector ('96).
First, I'm so glad our horses and riders are all okay and that there are no
other reports of horse fatalities.
Re the drug issue: FEI has a protocal that sometimes doesn't get correctly
followed (human error) that leads to confusion. It happens at the Olympics
also, but the second sample system usually clarifies things, so let's just see
what the final result and drug involved is before speculating more, shall we?
Re the second guessing of how the team rode, etc.: It's really easy for those
of us not present to look at results and criticize. These riders and staff
spent amazing amounts of their own time and resources, often at the cost of
disrupting their family and livelihoods, to attempt to work together ahead of
time, figure out which horses went well together, develop a team
psychology/mentality, and deal with all of the issues that will arise with
equine athletes at this level. Believe me, I know all of those involved are
probably being far harder on themselves than anyone else. This is the time to
congratulate and be proud of those (Becky, Carolyn)with successful rides and
support and commiserate with our other riders (Michele, Bev, Dennis and Carol).
If you haven't ever had a disappointing day on a ride very important to you,
you probably just haven't ridden endurance long enough. The WEC takes your
average "big ride" stresses and problems and magnifies them at least tenfold.
Re the low completion: The stress is higher, the stakes are higher, many
riders/horses (even very experienced) have never come close to this level of
competition, and the vetting is far stricter. At our usual AERC rides, most of
us vetting will discuss situations with the rider on a marginal horse and often
allow that horse to go on after rechecking, extra time etc. At the WEC, 9 times
out of 10 that same marginal horse will be eliminated to protect the horse.
Also, face it, we all know many "mild" lamenesses that are consistent (really a
mild grade 3) are allowed to go on; not the case here. No excuses for poor trot
out surface, either--it's perfect firm, flat sand for all.
Re the trail: The venue for a WEC (or PanAm) is selected by the FEI from bids
received from organizing committees. The expense to put one of these things on
is HUGE. The commitment on the part of the ride organizers is HUGE. It's not
like the FEI is beating off potential hosts with a stick. Aachen 2006 is a
World Equestrian Games, meaning it had the WC for Dressage, Show Jumping,
Eventing, Vaulting, Reining and Endurance. Not too many places have the
location or resources to pull this off. Endurance is not a priority. In '98,
the reason the WEC was in Dubai was because the Italian WEG was thrilled to
have the UAE offer to take over the endurance event. So far, those I've noticed
with comments on the trail haven't been the ones at all of the AERC
International meetings for the last 15 years or stepping up to help put
together bids for suitable trails.
Re criticism of AERC I./putting up with FEI etc.: The USA has been a very
proactive and vocally outspoken participant in the international process.
People like Art Priesz, Tony Benedetti, Teresa Cross, Dane Frazier, Mike Foss,
me and many others have been the proverbial thorn in FEI's paw in trying to
affect change. Dialog with other like minded countries like Australia and the
UK (who also have their own versions of AERC that existed before FEI was
involved)has been ongoing to get some strength from working together. Remember,
our country has very few FEI rides and this is now truly an international sport
that has the highest number of FEI events worldwide of any discipline. We are
just one member of that community.
Re racing vs. riding: It definitely is a different critter at the WEC level.
There are some of us that don't feel like participating in this style of
racing--no problem. No one is trying to change our rides that we love. Some of
us are still  working within the FEI to keep our concerns going forward. But if
some of our riders want the challenge and thrill and pride of trying to make a
team to represent our country in international competition, the American thing
to do is allow them that opportunity.
Finally--I hope others noticed that the first Australian to finish for his
Silver Medal team, in a tenth place finish, was Peter Toft on Murdoch--who
travelled from Australia to California in 2003 and finished TopTen at the
Tevis. Let's hear it for a great horse and great horsemanship!