Re: [RC] re United We Stand Divided We fall!!!! - DarkHorseGoddess

>> ride conservatively so when he is (28) years old I can still be competing on him now if thats not abuse you tell me what is. Have you ever heard of  RETIREMENT?

Ya know, I only do CMOs, so I am no where in the league that many of the riders on this list are and to be honest with you, I may never be. I have a lot of respect for many of the riders on this list, because the do take the time to condition and train their horses for the heavy demands of endurance riding. I tip my  helmet  to those riders!

Anywoo....I say if a horse at age 28 can still safely compete or be conservatively ridden, WOW~!! Good for the horse and rider. It shows that the riders cared enough to ensure that the horse remain healthy and sound into it's senior years.

I had a TWH gelding named Banjo, nickname Bubba. During his life, Bubba was a show horse, lesson horse, trail riding horse, and most of all, he taught my husband how to ride.

I finally retired Bubba at age 34.  5 - 7 years before his retirement, we only did easy flat trail riding. After he was retired he spent his days in the pasture. About once a month, I would take him horse camping, he would remain back at camp while I rode my other horse.  He loves those trips. Other times, when I was loading up the trailer for trips/rides, Bubba would stand at the gate, waiting to be loaded. Was it habit or did he really miss the work? I think it was a bit of both.

When Bubba was 39, I had the Vet euthanasia him. Bubba lived a long healthy life. And I am glad that I was able to keep him healthy enough to live that long.

So...28?  Shoot, that's not old.  IMHO....a horse is in their prime in their late teens to mid 20's. Raven