[RC] Endurance goals for '06 - Flora Hillman

----- Original Message -----
From: Laura Hayes <mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 11:17 AM
Subject: [RC] Let's talk endurance goals for '06

The Question of the Day: What are your goals for '06, and how are you going
to obtain them?

*******************

Well, Laura, here's *my* competition goals of 2006 with my Welsh-x pony:

1.  To finally get in my first 75 mile ride without some kind of disaster
occurring to prevent it  -- like my son totaling his brand new car just two
hours before I am sent to leave for the Michaux ride  (been there, done
that, darn kid!!)

2.  To either win or place top three at my first 75 mile ride.

3.  To go to the National Championships at Fort Valley this fall. (We've
qualified for the 50 every year since 2003, but didn't want to travel
2-3,000 miles to compete.  Now that it's in our own backyard -- we have the
option of entering under our placings, or under our mileage (which is 905
right now but *will be* 1,000 by spring.  Yahoo!!!))

4.  To place top ten at the National Championship in the 50.

5. To complete the three consecutive 50 mile rides at the Cranberry ride
this spring (to get our 1,000 miles), and enjoy every second of the rides.

6. To start some of my Welsh driving ponies in LDs -- just for the sheer fun
and enjoyment of it - once my guy and I reach 1,000 miles.

7. Help at least one person (who wants to learn the sport) to become an avid
endurance rider by educating them on  the joys, pitfalls, education, and
AWESOME FUN of endurance riding.

How to obtain my goals?

1 -5:

By keeping a close watch on my conditioning program so that my 16 year old
pony is in top shape to handle any type of condition/terrain at the rides,
and let him finish the day not only "fit to continue" but bright eyed and
happy to do it all again the following day.

By making sure that my own conditioning program is such that I'm a valid
member of the riding partnership, not just baggage sitting on my partner's
back.

By keeping good company with my chiropractic/acupuncture vets so they can
help me help my pony stay at optimum health and tip-top soundness, all of us
being proactive in identifying and fixing tiny problems that may not be
obvious - and that I may not see outright -- but can be career limiting.

By never forgetting my pony and I are both partners and best buddies in this
sport, and that we need to continue to rely upon our unique relationship to
give each other what we need -- be it encouragement, support, care, or
consideration of our shortcomings and limitations.  I greatly appreciate
that he waits patiently while I take care of things  --like me having to
heed the call of Nature on the trail -- and he greatly appreciates me
carrying along and feeding him lots carrots along the trail, as well as
looking to find his most favorite grasses to snatch up for him when we are
walking together.

By never forgetting that the partnership I share with my ponies, and our
health and happiness, supercedes any and all ribbons and awards and placings
or forfeited ride entries.

7:

By being a good ambassador for the sport whether I am off the horse, or on
it.

By sharing my learning and education with people who are interested, and
encouraging without reserve those who want encouragement.