From: Mary Krauss <lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:38:07 -0800
Subject: [RC] early Christmas: Freeform saddle arrived!

Background on this saddle purchase: non-horsey husband agreed that a new saddle that might actually fit my horses was a good idea. This quite amazes me as nearly 100% of our disposable income, after spoiling our children, goes into my horse-habit. He literally gets nothing for himself, ever. We agreed that I could use the $$ from selling our old Mazda pickup and my beloved Hook saddle to buy a Freeform. Here's where it gets interesting and proves that there is a horse god.

I returned the demo saddle to Candace Kahn and, unbeknownst to my husband, ordered the very cool navy blue suede model, knowing that it would take a while to ship. In the meantime, I set about selling the truck and the old saddle. The days clicked by and no sales.... Then, to my horrified delight, Candi called to announce that the saddle had arrived early and was in the mail to my house. YIKES! The day before the saddle arrived, a friend decided her son needed our truck as a starter vehicle (I hope it starts). Whew--one down but still no takers on the Hook saddle. The Freeform arrived, and I couldn't even bear to open the box. Put the box in the haunted back bathroom (so named by the children none of whom will set foot in said bathroom -- perhaps related to watching too much of Harry Potter's Moaning Myrtle). Then, just yesterday, the man who's had the Hook saddle on trial for three weeks (it rains a lot here in the Northwest....) emailed to say he'd decided to buy the saddle. YAY!

I ran down the hall pumping my fist, saying, "it sold, it sold, it sold!" My husband grinned and said, "so I guess you get to buy that saddle, eh?!" I stopped, gave him a hug, and said, "well, I didn't want to tell you until I was sure about the sales, but,.." He interrupted, "Really. I wonder how they shipped that saddle to you so fast--you only ordered it a few minutes ago and it's already sitting in the back bathroom."
I haven't gotten to try it yet, b ut I think buying a new saddle is a great way to spark one's enthusiasm for riding in yucky weather. Now if I could ride in it without making it dirty. Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to riding bareback and leave the saddle on the stair-rail as decoration until spring. Or maybe I should go drop it in a mud-puddle and get it over with. Our babysitter (a Back-Country Horseman riding nut) is coming over tomorrow to check it out--oh, and to watch our baby while I go for a short ride. I'll report back!
Mary K.