[RC] Riding with a Camera - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karen said:

I know that there are a few of you that ride with your
camera and take the most wonderful pictures.  I was
wondering what type of camera you use and do you stop
to take the picture or do you take them "on the fly"?

Having taken pictures of 3000+ miles of multi-day rides, here is what I did:

My camera was a Minolta Maxxum 35 mm with a 28mm-300mm zoom lens (f4.5 so
you have to have plenty of light), and I had another 18mm-35mm zoom lens
(on a second camera, so I didn't have to monkey around with changing lenses
and could just use a different camera) in a back pack designed especially
(i.e. padded) for carrying camera equipment.  I also carried at least 5
rolls of film (of differing speeds) and canned air, so I could dust off the
camera when changing film.

The camera was too big to carry in any kind of bag in front of me, and
while I had the strap around my neck so it wouldn't fall to the ground if I
let go of it, I didn't ride with it just around my neck because it bounced
around.  I carried it in my hand.  I stopped to take the pictures (and
sometimes got off but not always), and the horses that I was using learned
to wait until they heard the shutter click before continuing.

Needless to say, I had one handed horses; although I usually took both
hands off the reins entirely to take the photos, because I did NOT use the
autofocus feature of the cameras since even a horse that is standing mostly
still is not a stable enough platform to take pictures using
autofocus...and have them reliably be in focus.

And I carried it in my hand, because if you don't have it in your hand, you
won't get the shot (at least not the one of the 12 point buck).  You
probably won't get the one of the 12 point buck without a big telephoto
lens either.

Additionally, by definition, a photographer is an observer, not a
participant.  So, if you want to take pictures at rides, you have to be
riding with companions (either people, or your horse) who are tolerant of
you making the transition from participant to observer (and therefore NOT a
participant)...and it is tiring, for everybody, including the horse.

I ask because a few weeks ago I tried to take some pictures
while on a training ride.  Time and time again this fall I
have seen the most beautiful 12 point buck  and I wanted to
try to get his picture (of course he didn't show up the day
I had the camera).

The only way you will ever get his picture is if you have your camera in
your hand before you see him; and are prepared to take it, the instant you
do.  Scenery shots are a little easier to get because the scenery doesn't
move, but these are about the only ones, and if you are moving on your
horse, you won't get those either.

I have now made the investment in a Minolta Maxxum 7D (so I no longer have
to worry about that changing the film thing) which uses my same lenses.  I
have not, yet????, taken it on horse back.  Mostly because I no longer have
the horse that I considered reliable enough to risk thousands of dollars
worth of camera equipment on...and the ones I do have are not very suited
in allowing me to ride on them as a non-participant.

And I consider that to be criteria number one for shooting off the back of
a horse.  You have to have a horse that has a reliable auto-pilot.
Because, no matter what camera you use and no matter what your subject
matter, the instant you stop (or don't stop) to take a picture, you are no
longer piloting the horse.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .