[RC] Rachel - WRSINOSKY

Thank you all for your support in my fight to keep Rachel alive.

Rachel passed away sometime in the early morning hours before dawn on Saturday, Dec. 3.

We will never know exactly caused or contributed to her death, but it seemed apparent she had a blockage. Although she was passing some fecal matter after being tubed, she also refluxed alot of the oil.  She also suffered extreme spikes in temperature, pulse and respiration, which really caused Dr. Kloppe alot of concern.

Rachel was given IV fluids every two hours, genticen, banamine, penicillin

Dr. Kloppe and his associate Dr. Hendrix did all that was humanly possible and spent many long hours here at my home in an attempt to keep Rachel alive.  The days are really jumbled for me since Bill, Kimberli and I were sleeping in short naps but I think it was on Thursday we didn't have much hope.  But by Friday early evening she had rallied. Her temp was normal, she was passing fecal matter with oil in it, eating like a little piggy and starting to really fight my husband, Kimberli and myself when it came time for her IV fluids.  Even Angie, the mom, was showing alot more attention.  Angie knew before any of us.  She had left her baby alone in the paddock on Wed. nite. And Angie is the most dedicated and protective mare I've ever seen when it comes to her babies.

But I guess God had need of another good equine.  When Bill and I went out in the early hours to IV her, she was gone.

I tried to keep documentation of everything that was done, as well as Rachel's condition, and will get it all written out eventually.  I do this everytime something befalls one of my kids so I have a reference if the situation arises again for myself or anyone I know.  In this way at least I can help in some small way.

If anyone in reasonable driving distance has a foal in need, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Angie will adopt a foal whether she has a full bag or not.  She's done it in the past for three babies.

Thanks again for all your supprt.  You'll never know how much everyone's kind words meant to me.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ