Re: [RC] RC Deadly Bicyclist - Tina Rushing

I was saddened and horrified by the post submitted by Tammy Maramonte of
Santa Barbara.   My deepest sympathy goes to Tammy for the tragic loss of
Rocket.  In the ensuing discussions, someone wrote:  "...we can't set speed
limits on them [bicyclists]... without also setting speed limits for the
horses..."

Where I ride there *are* speed limits.  They don't work.  They are difficult
or impossible to enforce.  Common sense and courtesy from bikers (and
equestrians) would do the job.  If you can't see the trail ahead you S-L-O-W
D-O-W-N until it is safe to resume speed.  Why is this so freakin' hard to
grasp?  [no response is expected, I believe that we all know the answer]

I would not bomb my horse around a blind turn on a public trail.  I expect
the same courtesy from the bikers.  We slow to a jog.  I expect bikes to
slow to a similar speed.  When they do, I thank them and when they don't -
and we have a bad encounter - they usually appear remorseful, often
beginning their apology even before I've finished hauling my butt back into
the center of the saddle.

Someone suggested training the horse not to fear bikes, and another
suggested that horses can hear the bike approach implying that the rider may
be inattentive.  Please allow me to offer my opinions:

It's not the horse's fear of bikes, it's the *very* sudden and unexpected
appearance at high speed followed immediately by the sound of the bike
skidding under the horse that results in a panic response.  In our steep and
rugged terrain I am certain that my horse does not hear the biker in
advance.  I am on high alert while on the steep curves.  Be assured that my
horse has perfect recollection of the many places where we have survived
close encounters and near collisions.  You'll have to trust me on this one;
neither I nor my horse can be expected to hear the bike approach.  When the
wind is ripping through the trees you wouldn't hear a 747 until it was on
top of you.

Some bikers use bells, the kind that are thumb operated with a musical
"bllliiiing! bllliiiing!".  I love those bells and I love the courteous
bikers that use them.  The speeding downhill demon death racers do not use
bells and bells wouldn't help anyway.  When there is no place for the horse
to escape and no time for the bike to stop then there is no advantage to the
1-second warning.

I won't address the suggestion that more trails be created to serve all
users because the writer would not have brought this up if he/she were
familiar with rough terrain.  This would only be feasible in the flatlands.
My focus is on steep topography because that is where my close encounters
always occur.

The majority of the bikers that I share trails with are skilled and
considerate.  It's the one bad rider in 50 that ruins it for the rest.  In
the San Francisco Bay area there is a great organization called ROMP
(Responsible Organized Mountain Pedalers) http://www.romp.org/  they are
making an effort to find solutions to the multi-use conflict problem.
ROMP's website offers good guidelines for bikers on the subject of horses.
ROMP's advisory to bikers that equestrian encounters should be handled with
great care because horse riders are likely to be landed gentry is amusing
(okay, it's amusing to those of us who are not landed gentry and are easily
amused).  Check it out.

Are there any equestrian organizations working to develop a positive
solution (vs. banning all bikes) toward the conflict problem?  ***I am not
being a smartass, I am asking the question because I am sincerely
interested***.  Someone had suggested that education and teamwork is the
answer.  I couldn't agree more.

Pardon the lengthy post.  I'm keen on the subject.
Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA