From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 2:35 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] deadly bicyclist

Please Reply to: Melinda McPherron dynamitesport@xxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I heard about this accident from my brother who is a mtn biker.  He
contacted me (an endurance rider) to get my opinion on it.  Their community
has already heavily discussed it.  We should keep in mind that there are
more non-equestrian trail users than equestrians and we must find ways of
sharing the trails with them rather than attempting to close trails to other
user-groups.  That particular trail (Cold Springs) is heavily used by the
bikers and hikers, especially on the weekend. There is a volunteer group who
not only organizes a lot of the maintenance for the areas trails, but
actively encourages using bells and even hands them out to bikers that don't
have them.  The bells are provided by some bike companies & Santa Barbara
bike shops!  They have a terrific website that you should check out.
www.sbmtv.org
We ALL need to do everything we can to keep each other safe AND keep our
trails open for use.
Melinda