Re: [RC] Heart beats - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 I'm not arguing that the HHHRMs can't work on every horse, however the folks that need to be reading this probably aren't. If there aren't enough volunteers, sometimes that is the person who gets the HHHRM and a crash course on how to turn it off and on.  so we have folks with no clue trying to operate these things. (sometimes!) I need to replace my HRM and I would like to have one of the newer ones with the thin sensors, if some one selling these things was at a ride, and would try it on my mare to make sure that it will work, I'd gladly buy one, then I would know where to tell the P&R person to put it on her side.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Heart beats

LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI wrote:

>  If they only have one, and pick the HHHRM, then how do I vet in? I
> always have to look for the person with the stethoscope to do it the
> old fashion way, the HHHRMs have only worked on my horse once, and
> then it was wrong.  And my horse is not the only one with this problem.

I could have made a lot of money off people that say "HRM's work on my
horse." Being a nice guy I've never collected ;-) . Roger explained it
well. There are three issues, placement, polarity (you might have to
turn it upside down) and operator competence. The sensor is not the
problem - 99.9% of the time it's the person using it.

Kidding aside. The HRM doesn't measure heart rate. It measures the
electromagnetic radiation generated with the nerve firing that controls
the heart. It does the same thing an EKG does. There are subtleties
associated with this radiation and it does vary a little from individual
to individual. The operator needs to understand this to use the sensor
properly. It's no different than an stethoscope. A poor operator with a
stethoscope will make the same mistakes - but most likely the rider will
not detect them.

Truman

--

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)