[RC] Fwd: [RC]? "stop the insanity" - Marinera

In a message dated 12/3/05 12:42:27 PM, guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So how disappointing to find there is a group of folks who will be looking down their noses at me for my future efforts at LD

I am sick to death of the prevalent assumption that anyone riding 50 and 100 milers looks down on LDers.  It is simply not true!!  There is no group of folks who will be looking down their noses at you for your future efforts at LD. If there are a few bad apples in the longer distances there are just as many in the shorter distance who seem to unjustifiably swipe at the 50 and 100 milers as being riding snobs.  I know of very few 100 milers who have not also ridden some LDs  I don't know how I could have been in this sport so long and virtually never heard anyone put down an LDer.  I welcome newcomers to our sport, regardless of their choice of distance. All I need to know about you is whether or not you treasure your horse and ride with compassion, be it  25, 50 or 100 miles.
Julie Suhr (who is really mad at the very few LDers who perpetuate the myth that they are looked down upon).
--- Begin Message ---
Please Reply to: Debbie Payne dpayne@xxxxxxxx  or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey, Mary Beth I don't want to rent Bret, I want him cloned; full-grown and
programmed to think wrinkles and cellulite are extreme signs of female beauty!

Seriously, thanks for your gem of reason.  I especially liked your comment
about when the riders get older and may not be able to do "endurance".  What
then, indeed!!

I'm 55 and just discovered the whole CTR and endurance world last year.  And I
only found Ridecamp and horsesctr on yahoo groups last month.

After one season of five CT rides, I'm definitely working toward riding in some
LD rides when I feel confident my horse is ready.  We may never ride  a 50 ,
and that's ok with me.  Three years ago there was an awful day when my right
knee and hip wouldn't let me get on a horse.  I'm in this for the incredible
blessing I feel when I'm riding and for the personal challenges.

It was like a present to find folks sharing wit and wisdom on-line about what I
love most in the world.  So how disappointing to find there is a group of folks
who will be looking down their noses at me for my future efforts at LD,
especially if I'm not straining to move up to "real" endurance.  I know LD
isn't endurance, but it is a place I can participate with others whom I hope
feel the same way and have benchmarks to show how we are doing.

You know what, my mama taught me that people who look down on others and
belittle their efforts are usually unhappy with themselves.

Thanks to all who share their triumphs and troubles.  I have learned so much
from this group and look forward to meeting you, (well, some of you anyway
<g>).

Merry Christmas and Happy Trails,
Debbie and Jessie, the wonder horse