Re: [RC] accuracy of hand helt heart rate monitors - Vallonelee

I also had this problem at the ride. My HRM said 50, I was checked by the P&R person and the hand held read 80 !  HUH !  I didn't argue with them but I did say that my HRM was a lot lower.  They took the handheld away and held it for a few seconds and it read 42.  I think there is a bit of "memory" in the handhelds and unless they are allowed to clear completely from the last horse it was used on, it will read that number. It then takes a little bit until it registers the new heart rate.

Maybe someone with more experience on handhelds will chime in and clear the confusion.

Lee